1. I live at 24 Primrose Street. 2. My mother lives in a big block of flats in London. 3. Janets flat is on the ground floor. 4. "Where is the toilet, please?" "On the second floor. " 5. " Is there a doctor near here?" " Yes, at 17 High Street. "6. They lived in America in 2000.
1. I live at 24 Primrose Street.
2. My mother lives in a big block of flats in London.
3. Janets flat is on the ground floor.
4. Where is the toilet, please? On the second floor.
5. Is there a doctor near here? Yes, at 17 High Street.
6. They lived in America in 2000.
The year is divided into four seasons: spring, summer,
autumn and winter and spring Nature awakens from her long winter sleep. The trees are filled with new life, the earth is warmed with the rays* of the sun and the weather gets gradually milder. The fields and the meadows are covered with fresh green grass. The woods and the forests are filled with the songs of the birds. The sky is blue and cloudless of night millions of stars shine in the darkness.
When summer comes the weather gets still wanner and sometimes it’s very hot. It’s the farmer’s busy season — he works in his fields in morning or night. The grass must be cut and the hay** must be laid, while the dry weather lasts.
Sometimes the skies are overcast the heavy clouds, there are storms and thunder, lightning and hail*.
Autumn brings it the harvest** time, when the crops are gathered in and the fruit is picked from the orchard. The days are shorter and the nights longer. The woods turn yellow and brown, leaves begin to fall down from the trees and the ground is covered in them. The skies are grey and very often it rains.
When winter comes we have to spend more time indoors because out of doors it is cold. Wfe may get fog, sleet and frost. Ponds, lakes, rivers and streams are frozen, and the roads are sometimes covered in slippery ice or deep snow. The trees are bare. Bitter north winds have stripped them from all their leaves.
1. Good-bye, and thank you ever so much (for coming) with me. 2. She was afraid (of going) on public transport. 3. She began to have frightful pains all over her, and she held her breath to prevent herself (from crying) out and ( waking) her mother. 4. This was Daphnes only chance (of telling) them of her college life. 5. She had the local habit (of placing) the word "eh" at the end of her remarks, questions and answers alike. 6. I was aware (of plunging) into a network of fresh difficulties. 7. His mother would not like the idea (of eating) fruit unwashed. 8. "It seems to me an awfully selfish way (of looking) at things," said Philip. 9. "I don’t see the use (of reading) the same thing over and over again," said Philip. 10. Sandy could not remember (being asked) about it. 11. I had not asked for advice, I was quite capable (of advising) myself. 12. Thats no reason (for giving up). 13. It would be better to wait for him on the terrace where she was fond (of sitting) toward evening (enjoying) the view of which she was never tired. 14. Dad would not dream (of saying) such a thing to anyone. 15. Miss Brodie was greatly taken aback and suffered greatly from a sense (being betrayed). 16. He was looking forward (to taking) the tickets. 17. Are you thinking, Sandy, (about doing) a day’s washing? 18. And then a minute or two afterwards someone else entered the room and expressed his surprise (of having found) Griffiths there. 19. She was on the point (of obtaining) permission to go for walks alone. 20. Jane, your nose wants (blowing). 21. "That child needs (being taken) care of," said Eliza. 22. He felt that life was worth (being taken) care of. 23. The night seemed very long. He shivered. He was ashamed (of sleeping) on the Embankment. 24. They were busy (finding) some food. 25. Did he suspect her (of having seen) him enter the room? 26. Thank you (for giving) me this book. 27. His heart sank at the thought (of going) out into the bleak darkness. 28. These girls did not say anything to the others (being painted) by the art master. 29. "Im not very good (at guessing)," I said, with a laugh. 30. Ann was such a friendly, pretty child, few people could resist (talking) to her. 31. The baby was round and very red, with dark curly hair. "Fancy her (having) hair. I thought they were born bald," said Raymond. 32. I dont like (wearing) a black tie to movies. I enjoy (seeing) my movies when I eat popcorn. 33. But I cant tell you how grateful I am to you (for listening) to me. I had to talk about it and it was so kind of you to listen.
They dont go TO school ON Sunday.
Wait FOR me AT the bus stop.
He arrived IN London ATexactly six oclock.
I bought this hat PER ten pounds.
Our cat was bitten BY a dog.
Out your book ON the table.
You may write WITH A pencil.
Theres no bus. Well have to go ON foot.
We went TO the seaside BY car.
Many planes fly TO the Atlantic nowadays.
I couldnt hear what you were talking about.
She was looking OUT OF the window IN the busy street.
Get ON the tram here and get off AT the third stop.
1. __The__Sahara Desert is situated in ___-__ Africa. 2. Have you ever been to _-___ Malta? 3. __The__Pacific Ocean is the largest ocean on _the__ Earth. 4. Is __the__ Nile the longest river in __the__ world? 5. The capital of _the___ Netherlands is __-_ Amsterdam.
IV. Fill in the gaps with the correct reflexive pronouns. 1. I got upset when I saw __myself___ in the mirror. 2. Come in and make __yourself___ at home. 3. Ann did everything ___herself____. Nobody helped her. 4. Lets clean our classroom __ourselves____. 5. They washed ___theirselves____ very fast.
V. Choose the appropriate modal verb. 1. __Can____ you play football well? a) may b) can c) must 2. Jane __could____ read and write when she was five. a) can b) could c) may 3. You __had to____ visit your mum in the hospital yesterday. a) had to b) must c) should 4. __May___ I use your mobile phone? a) may b) could c) must 5. You __should____ apologise, I think. a) had to b) could c) should 6. You ___shoudnt_____ eat so many sweets. You’ll get fat. a) should b) shouldn’t c) can.
VI. Fill in the gaps with the correct prepositions (to, through, by, on, for). 1. Let him be _by___ himself for a while. 2. Usually I go to school __on__ foot. 3. Id prefer coffee ___to__ tea. 4. In case of an accident your insurance company pays __for__ you. 5. Youtor passport is checked when you get __through__ passport control.